Mentor Group: The Change That Needs to Be Seen

High school can be a hard time for many students, but going out into the real world is a lot harder than the crowded hallways. Manchester High School’s mentor group periods on Wednesdays are a time for students to do work and think about what they are going to do after high school. This mentor group structure faces some controversy as many students have different opinions on how helpful it is.

Some MHS students believe mentor groups are a great way to spend their time. Freshman Valentina Labbe said, “Mentor group has helped me by getting me aware of the school and its surroundings, while also getting close to my mentor teacher and having someone I can talk to.”

Mentor group is a space where students feel comfortable and safe. It is not only a productive time but also a place where students can be heard about their opinions and feelings. Mentor groups can be stressful but they can also spark interest and help students be inspired and excited for the future. 

“I want to go to college and they have helped me want a good career,” senior Kamyla Feliciano García said. 

However, the attendance for mentor groups has been relatively low. Many students skip their mentor group periods because they feel it is a boring long period that doesn’t help them feel empowered or engaged to do work.

Junior Kyan Colón says, “I don’t think mentor group is beneficial because even though they help with future career plans, they don’t do a good enough job at motivating students to actually want to work on that stuff.”

“It feels more like a lecture rather than a learning experience,” Colón added. He goes on to explain how planning the future feels more difficult to do because no one wants to pay attention.”

While it is unnecessary to change the whole system, there are many areas open for improvement. Some students gave their input on what change is needed for mentor time. 

“It may be able to improve if we actually do fun activities, I know things need to be accomplished, but we need to do something to get us moving and engaged,” Labbe said.

Although there are many differing opinions, most students do value the concept of mentor group because it gives students time to work on student profiles and college essays. However, they want to mentor groups to approach these tasks differently in order to be engaged in what they are doing. Rather than completely abolishing mentor groups, most students agree that they need to be adjusted and improved. Students want to feel more engaged and motivated to do work during these periods.

What is your opinion on mentor groups? What do you think needs to change? Send in your feedback.